1969 Triumph TR6

After purchasing and falling in love with this TR6, the owner decided to have performance upgrades done on the car to improve power, handling, and aesthetics. Upgrades included new wool carpets, new door panels, new wooden dash, new speakers and sound system, restored steering wheel, engine compartment restoration, aluminum radiator, triple Stromberg carbs, exhaust header and exhaust system, Wilwood brakes, Good Parts anti-sway bar and spindles, new chrome wire wheels, new tires, and a rebuilt transmission.

Engine has been stripped to a bare block, block and head were burned to 500 degrees to burn all oil remnants in galleys, then engine went to 5 axis stainless steel shot peen machine where rotated to where casting looks brand new inside and out, and lastly went on a 5 axis high pressure air rotation machine to blow out any shot that may be left.

Next, all the main bearing caps had .005 taken off their feet, re-torqued to the block, and the main bearing journals were line honed to ensure perfect location and size. The crank shaft was taken .010/.010 and radiused, then polished, and fully cleaned. All rods were re-sized, checked for straightness, and Magna fluxed with new bushings on the small end, honed to fit the new .020 pistons. The block received a boring and precision honing to achieve a .002 clearance at piston skirts. All rings were sized to .014 end gap. The entire rotating mass was balanced after the flywheel was turned.
In building the motor, we used Tri-metal main and rod bearings and NOS Vandervel thrust washers as thrust has always been a problem in TR6 engines. The camshaft and lifters were provided by Richard Good of Good Parts and are a GP2 designation. New dual chain, gear, and tensioner, new oil pump and relief valve. All galleys that had driven plugs were drilled and tapped, and sealed with hex set screws. Next, the head was Magnafluxed and pressure tested to determine there were no cracks, then received new hardened seats, stainless steel intake valves, and stellite exhaust valves. Magnesium bronze guides were installed and the combustion chambers were cc’d, showing 61ccs, give or take, in all chambers. We then port matched the tri-carb set up intake and header to the head,flowed the openings to port match, and removed any casting marks or slag inside the runners. We determined that 43.5 ccs would bring us to 9:92 compression ratio, which is close to the end of 93 octane pump gas. In order to achieve that cc, we surfaced the head from 3.390 to 3.550, a total of .160 removed. All edges were de-burred and chambers smoothed. New dual springs with total seals were installed.

When installing the head, a Payen composite gasket was used along with ARP head studs and rocker studs. A beautiful 1.65:1 roller rocker setup was installed as supplied from Good Parts. We set the cam at 7 degrees advanced with a .050 clearance on the #1 intake. The entire motor was then painted after painstakingly being sealed, and is now ready to install back into the car.